Skip to main content

Julia Michaels - Nervous System | EP Review

It's been WAY too long! I gotta get back on schedule.

Nervous System is the debut EP (or mini-album, as she called it for some reason) from songwriter/singer Julia Michaels. It was released on July 28th, 2017. Julia Michaels built her reputation by writing many, many pop tracks, for just about every artist that you can think of. She helped make so many songs Billboard hits, so she definitely has quite a bit of reputation to stand on. Every track except the first one is produced by Mattman & Robin, and curiously, Julia is not the sole writer; she has 3 other co-writers on every single track except the final one.

Even though Julia has helped lots of other artists, the GP didn't really know her name until her lead single, "Issues". Her voice is rather strange; it's lilting and kind of squeaky, but at least she's different sounding. Other than that, this is a very stereotypical pop song; if you looked up "boring pop", this would be it. Do keep in mind that I absolutely adore pop, but this is just so generic... The lyrics aren't too amazing, but the harmonies are nice, at least. Somehow, this got to 11 on the Billboard 100, which I will never understand. The production is by Benny Blanco and Stargate, and even Stargate can't make this production very interesting.

Now, "Uh Huh", is definitely more interesting, for lack of a better word. It's like a country-influenced pop ballad turned up to the highest levels of camp; the bass hits hard, the production can be almost dissonant at times, and Julia sounds far more squeaky than anywhere else on this EP. Take the chorus, for example: "Uh Huh, I think you're moving in to close, but I think it's my body wanting it the most". This line isn't particularly interesting, but she makes it unique just by her delivery alone. This is definitely her most distinctive song, and it's definitely grown on me, but I'm still not in love with it.

"Worst In Me" is probably the best song. The percussion is pretty interesting and the lyrics are pretty good; they seem very personal and confessional, and they aren't as clunky as Julia can sometimes get. The whole tone of the song is somber, even though it gets upbeat. The post-chorus is really nice; just simple vocalizations. Julia's voice is less distinctive in this one but that's not necessarily a bad thing... This song isn't too interesting but it's not bad.

"Make it Up to You" has a pretty interesting beat, with some vocal chops used creatively. That's not to say that it's particularly good, but at least it's not generic. Other than the beat, this really reminds me of a HAIM song; the chorus is chanted in a very similar manner. The lyrics aren't great; this one, in particular, makes me cringe: "I used to ruin good things, like that time with your friends". She tries to hard to be mundane, sometimes. Overall, this song is just straight up forgettable.

"Just Do It" is extremely vanilla. It sounds dated somehow, and the production is boring. The chorus is underwhelming and there's really not much at all to say about this song...

"Pink" is bizzare. That's the best way to describe it. It sounds pretty vanilla at the start, but then the chorus comes... The prechorus is so extremely uncomfortable, as Julia whispers "There's no innunedos, it's exactly what you think / believe me when I tell you that he loves the color pink", then makes this sound that just seems like she stubbed her toe. The chorus itself is actually pretty nice sounding; it's just some very heavy synths layered over her breathing, which is a pretty nice sound, but the rest of the song is just too weird; the boring verses and the strange pre-choruses.

"Don't Wanna Think" is a piano ballad no one asked for. The lyrics are rather charming ("I'm not really one for drinking songs, but, I guess that I should probably write one, cuz, I'm feeling pretty lonely", but Julia's voice is as squeaky as ever and it sounds like she actually sobs a little bit during the chorus. It's rather forgettable and it lacks the emotional staying power of other ballads.

Overall, I'm not impressed. For the most part, this album is just forgettable, and the songs that I can actually remember are for all of the wrong reasons (take Pink, for example). I'm not very excited at all for Julia Micheals' debut album whenever that comes, and I think that perhaps she should stick to songwriting for other people; her signature songwriting isn't even good enough to save this EP.

Final Verdict:

40/100

Favorite Track: Worst In Me

Least Favorite Track : Pink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh