Skip to main content

SremmLife 2 - Rae Sremmund Album Review

Sremmlife 2 is an 11 song hip-hop album by the dynamic duo themselves, Rae Sremmund. It is the sequel to the horrible Sremmlife. It was released on August 20, 2016. Rae Sremmund are a very, um, interesting duo. Swae Lee is the real showpiece of this album, because even though his voice can be kind of annoying, it's really unique and adds character to Sremmlife. Slim Jimmy, on the other hand, is very average, with a slightly boring voice and delivery.

"Start A Party", the first song, is an amazing start. From the very first second, this amazing hip-hop rave mood is set, with perfect production by Pluss and P-Nazty. This song is perfect at what it sets out to do: start a party, and the intro is legendary.

"Real Chill" doesn't captivate on the precedent set by "Start A Party". It sounds like a discount 2 Chainz song, with lazy production by Mike Will Made It. Kodack Black's feature really doesn't add much to the song, and this just ends up being a mediocre attempt at a bop. Furthermore, the flow of everyone on this track sounds awkward, with words running over each other. Lastly, the song is just too long.

The album starts to get good, with "By Chance". It's a sleazy, club banger with a piano beat reminiscent of 2 Chainz. The bass is hard, and the nonchalant delivery on the hook and verses just make this song so great. "By Chance" quickly segways into "Look Alive", another great track off of the album. The Swae Lee-sung, swinging, hook is so catchy. However, Jimmy's verse is rather boring, and Swae Lee's flow is completely awkward. This song had a lot of potential, squandered in the verses.

"Black Beatles", ft. Gucci Mane, is undoubtedly the best song on Sremmlife 2. The hook sounds almost somber, with lines like "I sent flowers/ but you said you didn't receive them/and you said you didn't need them". The hook actually has emotions besides "party-hard". The way that Swae Lee sadly laments "Screaming everybody's famous..." actually makes me feel something for the duo, as if they are more than the party-hard, stereotypical hype rappers that they portray themselves as. While Gucci Mane's verse is underwhelming, Slim Jimmy does absolutely amazing on this song. He packs aggression and power in his verses that you don't really find anywhere else with him, shout-rapping "I had haters when I was broke/ I still got haters". I throw the word catchy around a lot, but "Black Beatles", with the engrossing, dual synth, bass-heavy Mike Will production and beneath-the surface lyrics, is the perfect definition of the word catchy.

...And that's it for the album. They grouped the best five songs at the start, leaving us with average club bangers like "Shake it Fast". Though Juicy J does do good on this song, Rae Sremmund sounds almost boring on this track, with simply filthy lyrics, and not in the good way. "Set The Roof" ft Lil Jon shows just how much Lil Jon is out of place in modern rap; he, with his "super hypeman" peronsa, just seem unneeded on the track. Swae Lee continues to be the stronger half of Rae Sremmund.

"Came A Long Way" is Rae Sremmund's attempt at a come-up song, but their average lyrics and flow don't really mesh with the strong and almost sappy production. "Now That I Know" is almost good, Sremmund's take at R&B. It's a little too bass-heavy, and it seems like the ugly brother of "This Could Be Us."

"Take it Or Leave It" is a pretty average rap set to a smooth beat, It's certainly not the worst song on the album, but there are a lot better that I would rather listen to. "Do Yoga" is a pretty good end to the album, with a very minimalistic beat and that signature nonchalant rapping.

Overall, Sremmlife 2 is a great evolution to the original Sremmlife. However, as a standalone album, it doesn't quite hold up. Swae Lee carries most of the album, and for the most part, Slim Jimmy just didn't do much. The last 6 songs just seem like filler; I mean, I couldn't even think of what to say for half of them. If the second half of Sremmlife 2 held up to the great start that the album had, or if they just stuck the first 5 in an EP, I would've given Sremmlife 2 a much higher rating than I am now. But sadly, Sremmlife 2 ends up sounding more like Sremmlife 1 1/2.

Final Verdict:
60/100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh