Skip to main content

Bebe Rexha - All Your Fault: Pt. 1 | Album Review

All Your Fault: Part 1 is the second EP by singer/songwriter Bebe Rexha. The first thing to be noted about this "album" is the completely messed up schedule. My sister used to be a major Bebe Rexha fan, so just using thing that she's told me, this album was supposed to be released in August 2016. It got pushed back so many times, until it was finally split into two parts and this first part was released on February 17th, 2017. It consists of 6 songs, and thankfully let go of the original lead single for AYF, "No Broken Hearts". That song would've definitely dragged the score down quite a bit. Notable producers include Captain Cuts, The Invisible Men, and Stargate. In my opinion, this EP could have been very successful following the big hit "Me Myself and I", with G - Eazy featuring Bebe Rexha, but that flopped in the end.
Overall, this EP surprised me. I didn't really love it on the first or second listen, but after 8 or so listens, I enjoy it immensely. The collaborations are lacking, but Bebe Rexha's themes of rebelliousness, the extremely strong production on every song, and her distinctive voice made AYFPT1 so much better than I expected.

The album starts strong with "Atmosphere". It really does remind me of the style of Jojo on Mad Love., an album I previously reviewed. The almost rapped verses and the very strong and vocal focused chorus sound great, as Rexha proudly claims that she'd "die for my baby, no lie." Sonically, "Atmosphere" is really nice, especially the long, drawn out words on the pre-chorus. The worst part about this song is some of the lyrics, like "If there's winners and losers, then I'll be the loser". It kind of breaks the immersion.

"I Got You" was a great choice for the lead single, and wow, this song is a bop. The "Oooh" part in the pre-chorus may be disconcerting to some, but I think that it sounds natural and pretty good. The best part about this song is that you expect an instrumental "pop drop" the first time you listen to it, but it ends up pulling a bait and switch and going to a fierce, almost rapped chorus, as Bebe affirms that "we can get high, oh na na na/ we can get low, oh na na na". Bebe's voice does sound a bit strained on this song at some parts, but she does sound pretty similar live. This song is what made me think that AYF would be decent in the first place, and it lived up to that.

"Small Doses" starts with a nice intro, leading into Bebe's downtempo verses. The verses seem purposefully repetitive, and they give way to a crescendo of a chorus, as it gets faster and faster as it goes on. Some people I know compare it to a Tove Lo song, and I agree to some extent, but not too much. Bebe's voice is just too different.  I found it really interesting that this track samples Lindsey Stirling, a youtube-based violinist, in the production. The song ends with her voice getting more distorted, and though this does seem like the fan favorite on the album, it's pretty average in my eyes.

"FFF (F*ck Fake Friends)" is a more carefree song than any of the previous. The production is pretty weak, with vocal samples that sound like a small child cooing. The lyrics are pretty okay, a "screw the haters" anthem, and I do find it really cool how the tempo slows down and she says "Is there anybody real out here?" in a more whispery voice, as it sounds very juxtapositioned. Bebe's friend G-Eazy jumps on the track to add very little to the song, unsurprisingly. The song comes to a crescendo for a drum-heavy bridge,

"Gateway Drug" starts downtempo, with a trippy beat and an urban buildup. Her voice sounds great, especially when she says "If you wanna talk lets talk about the way you left me/ left me with a text so cold, yeah". I love that "yeah" ad-lib in particular. The verse leads up into a deliciously messy chorus, as she angrily sings "Cause kissing leads to touching leads to loving leads to f*cking leads to someone always seems to get hurt." That line seems like it wouldn't work at all, but Bebe makes it sound spectacular. The second, more production heavy chorus is the highlight of the song, and the lyrics on this track sounds great in general. The end of the song is pretty interesting, bringing in a vocoder and pitching her voice quite a few times, but I can see how it would turn some people off of the song. Regardless, this is my favorite song on the EP, and I think it just sounds great in general. It's a bit production-carried, but it's The Invisible Men; what do you expect?

"Bad B*tch", ft Ty. Dolla $ign, is certainly a solid track. Bebe tries extremely hard to distance herself from the "generics" as she calls them, painting herself as "the baddest". The production on this track is absolutely amazing, almost to the point of being production carried. I could see it working by itself with a trap drop. The hook to this song is also interesting, with the pre-chorus of "Say you want a bad b*tch / baby now you have it / now you got the baddest/ show me you can handle this" followed by a shrill, computer-distorted title drop and some great vocalists. The title drop might turn people off, and the bridge is really bad up to the end, which mostly redeems it, with the "keep saying your prayers". Ty Dolla $ign also jumps on the song with a mediocre verse. I don't think that I've ever been impressed by anything he dropped; and he's on far too many people songs in order for them to seem "urban".

Overall, I really enjoyed this. It's certainly a grower; I probably like it now five times as much as I used to like it when I first heard it. All of the songs are solid, though the two rap features both seem weak and tacked on in order to make Bebe seem like more of a "bad b*tch". It's notable that Bebe seems to follow a format in her chorus of having two distinct parts and the pre-chorus. and I really enjoy that. I actually slightly enjoy blonde Bebe over dark haired Bebe; though other people showered her with praise, I thought that some of her tracks back then were weak, like "I'm Gonna Show You Crazy". Good work.

Final Verdict:

80/100

Favorite Tracks: 

Gateway Drug, I Got You, Atmosphere

Least Favorite Tracks:

FFF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh