Skip to main content

Updated Scores + Ranks for 3 songs : "I'm Poppy", "Heavy", and "Temperamental Love"



Hey guys, this is a bit more informal. These are the reviews I wrote on a different website for 3 recent songs.


Temperamental Love - Bridgit Mendler and Devontee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49-xItoatxg



This song isn't very good on first listen. It grew on me after a few listens, but I have a few major criticisms with it: For one, it has really weird pacing. The tempo and volume change from the verses to Bridgit belting "temperamental love" is jarring and hard to listen to. In fact, that's probably the main reason I don't like this song: but that first name drop always hurts my ears. Second, I think that it has too much Devontee in it. I think that it'd be cool if he had one extra long verse for the bridge, and they both sang the second verse, and Bridgit got the first verse, a good transition from smoother Bridgit to rougher Devontee. Bridgit does sound really good in her verse/bridge, perhaps even a bit like Fergie during the ad-libs on the second verse. I also found that the production was rather uninteresting. Overall, I was and still am disappointed in this song. I expected so much from Bridgit after she dropped Nemesis, but what we got was a dissonance heavy song that I'd really only listen to in the background. Final Verdict: 4.5/10


That Poppy - I'm Poppy : https://open.spotify.com/album/6NNz8U3SNjAYqlbAq2jQBh


Okay, this song would be completely different depending on the Poppy exposure to the person listening to it. Three categories: 1. the person who never heard of Poppy 2. the people who have listened to Poppy's music and maybe seen a handful of videos 3. the people who actually watch Poppy's videos quite often. Most of you guys are category 2, and I'm category 3. That being said, this song is amazing for what Poppy's been doing recently. She's been exploring the corruption that technology can bring, and acting so much more like a cult leader than she did before. The people in her cult adore her and want to be her(The Plant, etc.) but there are people bringing her down like Charlotte. That's why Poppy released this video, to show her "fans" how to be more like her, and that's why Charlotte tried to delay the release.


What I'm trying to get at is this song, Money, Everybody Wants to be Poppy, and American Kids are the only songs that she's released that actually display her character, and none of those do as much as this one. The lyrics seem shallow to people not category 3, but they really make sense with how overly representative Poppy is supposed to be with pop culture. With all of the meaning out of the way, how is the song sonically? Great, in my opinion. From those signature NES-sounding synths to that complicated drumline, the production is great. The "drop" after the "P O P P Y I'M POPPY" line (which is a god-tier line) is absolutely amazing, and came completely out of nowhere. I'm not sure what to call that instrument, but I love it. Poppy's voice in the verses are really nice, with a methodical high-high-low structure that sounds good. I'm taking off a point for the robotic voice because even though it makes sense thematically, it's too much of a plot point of the song; I think it should be limited to like 5 words before the chorus. It's quite the earworm and I'm very pleased with it.


9/10






Linkin Park - Heavy ft Kiiara : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp00DMy3aVw



Okay, first I guess I have to talk about my experience with LP. I was never a huge fan, but Breaking the Habit and Numb used to be some of my favorite songs when I was going through that phase. I stopped following them for a while, so I don't really care at all that they went pop. In fact, if everything is to this caliber, I hope they release more darker pop songs like this. Though I do wish that they added more guitars just so their fanbase can stop dying in the comments.


It's annoying how everyone thinks lyrics that aren't just the same bubblegum love theme are "totes cringe my dude". I love the melody and though Chester's voice seems a bit frail and peculiar, he has a ton of control. Kiiara sounds better than she ever has in this song; she's not as whispery and she actually sounds like she has a lot of inflection in her tone. I was extremely surprised how well she turned out to be. I also love how she breaks up words in her verse. This song is really nice and theatric, and I'd listen again.


Also, watch this live performance.They both sound really good, which is strange for kiiara in particular to sound good live. It inflated my score a bit, not gonna lie.


Overall:


9/10




Rating Changes:

Now that that's out of the way, I wanted to change a few of my review scores now that I've listened to the music more. Though I don't think that it'd be ethical to change the already established scores, I'll post them here. Most of my reasons are just the music growing on/off of me, but some are just to help standardize scores. You can write in the comments if you think otherwise!


Joanne: From 66 to 72


The Altar : From 90 to 94


Sremmlife 2 : 60 to 70


Death of a Bachelor : 38 to 40


7/27 : 63 to 60


Nemesis : 86 to 90


Last Year was Complicated : 58 to 60


And the big one:


Vroom Vroom : 45 to 65

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh