Skip to main content

Hey Violet - From the Outside | Album Review

From the Outside is the debut studio album by American pop-rock band Hey Violet (at least under this moniker), released on June 16, 2017. Hey Violet originally began as Cherri Bomb, a punk rock band, until they eventually morphed into their current situation, with a few members rotated out. Hey Violet originally was a 5 Seconds of Summer side act, but it'd be so wrong to write them off like that. Hey Violet has far exceeded 5SOS in my eyes, from their first EP, Brand New Moves, to their current state.

Stylistically, it's hard to pin down exactly what genre this album is. Though classified as "pop rock", the album is rife with EDM and pop influences, as well as a few standout tracks with different styles; there's even one that almost seems to have a Victorian style.

"Break My Heart" is a pretty good taste of the blend of styles that Hey Violet utilizes. This is the second single from the album. The verses are supported by electric guitar instrumentals, and the chorus explodes into a surprising future bass drop. This contrast sounds really great. It features rather strange lyrics (exactly what you'd think, based off of the name). Rena Lovelis, the lead vocalist of Hey Violet, has a very sweet voice and it is used to its fullest extent. The biggest issue with this song is that, other than the lyrics, it really doesn't bring anything new. Hey Violet saves that innovation for later.

And just like, that "Brand New Moves" comes in. A deliciously smooth bassline compliments Rena's voice beautifully, as every word she says drips with yearning. The intro is familiar to the iconic "Feel Good Inc", and it's just as enjoyable for me. This song was first released on the Brand New Moves EP, and only served to hype this album up so high. I've always had a weakness for ad-libs, and the "yeah" and "uh" on this song set off every line perfectly. The chorus is great in all ways; it is such an earworm, but every repetition of the same melody adds something new until it all builds up to a mountain of greatness. I do admit that this song is quite the grower, especially as you start to notice all of the layers to the production. The band has some brand new moves, and they want to try them on you.

"Guys My Age" was my first exposure to the band, and an amazing one at that. This album pulls off something I didn't really expect back in 2016; a dubstep/pop hybrid that isn't grating or cheesy. It tells the story of Rena's maturity, which could be viewed as problematic to some, but I reflect with it. Rena's voice remains strong throughout, and that bass hits SO hard. Her ad-libs are on point as always, and the ad-libs from the other band members work just as well. This remains one of the best hype songs of the year.

"Hoodie" also has that really loud and distorted bass, but it's far more bubblegum than the previous song. The lyrics are simple and almost a bit immature, but I don't think that's really a bad thing; sometimes we need those super relatable lines that just feel like a slice of life; she sings that she's "still rocking your hoodie/ baby, even though it hurts". "Hoodie" evokes that teenage heartbreak that so many people are familiar with to some degree; this is no small feat. This song was just announced as the next single of the album. So far, every track on the album has actually been a single.

"My Consequence" is less appealing than the previous songs. It's not bad by any stretch, just kind of forgettable. The lyrics aren't very good at all; "when you spill your guts, they don't go back in", she quips in a rather bored voice. References to razors and death also pollute this song. The production is nice but subdued; there's really just no passion in this song. It's kind of a let down following the other tracks. The best part about this track is definitely the drumming by Nia Lovelis; it's quite potent throughout the song. (I'd also like to say how refreshing it is to see a female drummer!)

"O.D.D." shows how sometimes even with #edgy, a song can still sound great. The lyrics seem very personal to Rena. Even from the very start, the lullaby-esque vocalizations and Rena's sweet voice help support the image of "I'm different than everyone else". The chorus of this song is rather strange, composed of Rena's proclamation that "I'm a little O D D, most people don't know me" and that cute little melody. There's a certain attitude to this song that is hard to decipher, until the very end, where out of nowhere, the beat stops. No one really expects her to drop the next lines: "F*ck b*tches, get money, blow cash", and that shock value really adds to the value of the song. It also shows how the band is capable of building atmosphere to strengthen their music; something that took a few listens for me to really get.

"All We Ever Wanted" is a short song that reeks of that Charli XCX swagger. It's fun and fresh. It does seem a bit too short; the last chorus leaves room for a bridge, but it just never comes. "All We Ever Wanted" simply sets out to be a headbanger, and I think it succeeds. Unlike any of the previous songs, it is far more rock based than before, which continues as a trend for the next track.

"F*qboi" is rather problematic. It's a pop-rock banger with iconic lines like "and when there's cute things he'd say, I bet he stole them from Drake". The lyrics are kind of weird and abrasive, especially during the bridge. The little instrumental breakdown is pretty cool, but I'm not in love with any part of this song, really. I really can't say much about this song without using swearwords so I'm just going to leave it at this: it's not very good.

"Unholy" redeems the past songs and does so much more. It's a rock track, filled to the brim with dark vibes. When Rena says : "gettin shivers all down my spine", I really feel those shivers. As the pre-chorus melds into the actual chorus, as that bass kicks in, the feeling is just so very euphoric. Everything about the instrumental to this song is just amazing; the little piano beats, the "la la la" in the background, and that drumwork is just amazing. It really shows just what the band is capable of if they really want to make pop/punk rock hybrids.

"Where Have You Been (All My Night)" is sadly, kind of generic. I enjoy it but the lyrics are kind of clunky. The production is mostly electropop, and even though it sounds really good, the chorus to this song just lets me down. This song aims to build up to a crescendo, and it does in a way; the harmonies get more and more complex and the song attempts to get into an explosive chorus, but it just doesn't do it for me. The best part is the very end of the song, where the chanted third verse replaces the chorus in a contrast that finally works. When I'm listening to this song, all I'm really doing is waiting for that sweet spot that they hit with that last verse.

"Like Lovers Do" is a completely mystical, wholly unexpected masterpiece. It starts sounding like a sweet Victorian ballroom song; sparse pianos and a simple yet charming melody, coupled with the lack of percussion really leads to a magical sound. In a generation of music that loves throwback sounds, there's really nothing that throws it back quite this far. Eventually, the rock instrumental kicks in, completely changing the tone of the song from loving and cute to angry and vengeful. "Like Lovers Do" sounds like it belongs in some award winning musical, but the whole song by itself is a journey. This song tells a story from beginning to end, from "It won't be too long, before me and you/ are doing what lovers do" at the beginning, until the dark and desolate end: "Hire a hitman to take care of you, and end it like lovers do", until it all loops back around. Every single word that Rena utters in this song has inflection; her voice dances around the melody, with every syllable enunciated to have meaning, whether loving, accusatory, or angry. I have no idea how this song came into fruition, but I know for sure that it's one of my top 10 favorite songs this year, maybe even top 5. I just can't put into words what this song makes me feel.

Sadly, I feel like "Like Lovers Do" should've ended the album, because I really dislike the next song, "This is Me Breaking Up With You". It's obviously a throwback to the band's pop punk days as Cherri Bomb, but it just sounds obnoxious. The production is pretty cool and it's nice to hear the other members of the band, even for a little chant. The vocal effects they put on Rena's voice are just really weird, and compared to the last song, it's just not very great.

Punk going pop just doesn't work well usually, but Hey Violet has exemplified exactly how it should be done. The band is extremely talented in every way; the instrumentals exceed expectations again and again, and Rena is a great vocalist, with a real talent for melody and inflection. This project cemented Hey Violet a place among my favorite artists, and is my top album released this year. There are a few smudges on the album, but I can even respect those songs for what they stand for. I just hope that it does well among other audiences; I might edit the Wikipedia page soon, because it barely even has one.

It's been a real joy to listen to From the Outside again and again, and I think it really deserves this score; the second highest I ever gave on this blog.

Final Verdict : 89/100

Favorite Tracks: Like Lovers Do, Brand New Moves, Guys My Age, Hoodie, Unholy

Least Favorite Tracks: F*qboi, This is Me Breaking Up With You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh