Skip to main content

Macklemore - GEMINI | Album Review

GEMINI is Macklemore's first solo studio album in a very long time, following the two joint albums with Ryan Lewis, The Heist and This Unruly Mess I've Made. The former was what made me a Macklemore fan in the first place; I always adored his unique, over-enunciated rap flow, and great blend of socially conscious and "fun" songs.

Unlike Macklemore's first studio album from 2005, The Language of My World, GEMINI, released on September 22nd, 2017, does not contain powerful political undertones. Instead, this album is characterized by an overlying feel of joy and happiness. Now, I'm not sure exactly why Macklemore thought that this was the path to take. He's always been very socially conscious, and it seems like society would reflect with those issues now, in our period of social turmoil, more than ever. He tackled issues like his white privilege, his vision for his child, and more on This Unruly Mess I've Made. I believe that it was a very bad decision for Macklemore to drop this social image that he's maintained.

That's not to say that this album doesn't have highlights. It's quite the opposite. "Glorious", featuring the frequent Eminem collaborator Skylar Grey, feels like "Can't Hold Us" version two, and that's great. He captures that feeling of triumph very well, but Skylar outshadows him with her powerful voice, especially at the end of the song. The production is actually quite nice; complex piano riffs and brass instruments lend themselves well to capturing that victorious aura.

On the flip side of rap music, "Willy Wonka" may be one of my favorite trap songs all year. Macklemore exudes charisma as he hops around this amazing beat. I really love everything about it; the vocal samples, the distortion that comes in at the middle of the song, and that amazing brass that swoops in by the hook. He changes flows like five times, and this reminds me of why I like him so much; even when he's rapping at lightning speeds, I can still totally understand him. And just like you'd expect from a great trap song, one of the people responsible for making trap so popular hops on: Offset, from Migos. I'm a big Migos fan and this is possibly one of Offset's best performances in the past few years. One of his ad-libs is literally just a whistle, which is straight up amazing. "Willy Wonka, I got flavor" is just so quotable and Offset and Macklemore mesh so well together.

A recurring problem that Macklemore has throughout this album is his reliance on features. I personally think that good features can greatly enhance an album, but there's such thing as too much. Macklemore has a feature on fifteen out of sixteen songs on this album, and that's kind of ridiculous. Not just that, but Macklemore tends to give every feature a very good portion of each song, leading to a severe lack of his own personality and influence.

"Corner Store", featuring Dave B and Travis Thompson, is the best example of this. Though the song is actually quite the bop by itself, Macklemore is only in it for one verse, for under a minute, and he doesn't even come in until almost two minutes. It doesn't feel like a Macklemore song at all. Songs like this almost make GEMINI feel more like a compilation album than anything.

"Ten Million" is the only track without features, and it's great, but it's not Macklemore's style at all. It feels just like a Travis Scott song; every single detail of the style. It almost feels like a straight up rip off. The autotuned yelps, the atmospheric production, the distorted bass, the highly edited voices in the instrumental, the chorus of "We turn out the lights then we come alive yeah / all these dollar signs ain't no nine to five yeah". I'm a huge Travis Scott fan and I'm able to recognize his style when I see it...

As is evidenced by the previous song, Macklemore definitely hops on more trends than ever before. For the most part, he abandons that unique storytelling approach that I grew to love on tracks like "Jimmy Iovine" and "WINGS".

"How to Play the Flute" utilizes that flute enhanced trap beat popularized by Future and 2 Chainz. The pre-chorus by King Draino is so fun, and the song is just meant to be an inoffensive song to jam out to, like most of the songs on this album. Following that trend was the first single, "Marmalade", featuring Lil Yachty. It sounds like an even worse "Brocolli"; it's that recently popular "happy trap", and Macklemore does NOT sound good autotuned.

The production on this album is surprisingly not that bad. I expected it to take a turn after I saw that Ryan Lewis was missing, but there is a lot of decent to great production on this album. "Levitate" utilizes a funky jazz beat to make it sound like a better "Downtown". "Miracle", a more spiritual track, makes use of some really peaceful strings sections.

Regardless of the highlights of this album, there are some straight up horrible tracks. "Intentions" is a boring, self-pitying piece of trash that may be one of the worst songs this year. "Ain't Gonna Die Tonight" is ruined by Eric Nally yelling in my ear, and "Church" is preachy and annoying.

"Good Old Days" is the final track that I will go over, and an album highlight for many. This will almost certainly be the first radio single; it's featuring the newly reformed Kesha, and is very radio friendly. It's... not a great track. Kesha sounds shaky, and the other female collaborators on the album, like Skylar Grey and Donna Missal outshine her by far. Macklemore doesn't bring in any interesting tricks, and this just sounds like a ploy for radio spins.

Overall, this album is a disappointment. "Willy Wonka" and "Glorious" surpassed my expectations, but everything else falls under. More importantly, I find it extremely disappointing and almost shameful that Macklemore would drop his social identity in a time that the country needs it the most. Of course, he's free to do what he wants with his music, and I can't fault him for that, but so many people look up to him as a role model that it just seems wrong. This album is not anywhere near as good as The Heist or The Language of My World, but I still have hope for Macklemore in the future; we'll see where he goes.

Final Verdict: 
62/100

Favorite Tracks: Willy Wonka, Glorious, How the Play the Flute, Ten Million

Least Favorite Tracks: Intentions, Ain't Gonna Die Tonight, Church, Marmalade



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh