Skip to main content

Song Review | Kiiara - Wishlist

I wrote this on another website but I figured that it would fit just fine here.

I consider myself to be a pretty big Kiiara fan. I love low kii savage, and "Whippin" is also great. But with all that being said, my opinion on Kiiara was getting worse and worse. I thought that she'd keep dropping basically the same song over and over; just that dirty sounding, vocal-chopped EDM track.

Then, she drops this. And all of my faith is restored. This song is quite frankly amazing, one of my top songs this year, and my favorite Kiiara song (maybe tied with Feels). It gives me new hope for Kiiara; it displays how she can be versatile if she wants to, how she doesn't need to totally rely on producers, and how great her voice is.

First, I'm not going to say that the production is anything bad at all. In fact, it's quite amazing. The beautifully crooning violin, that elegant piano riff, and the little vocal cut after "bricks" all combine together with the drumbeat to make the perfect canvas for Kiiara to paint on.

Kiiara's voice is perfect in this. She shows a lot more range than normal, and dips between her lilting higher register to her sultry lower range. The pre-chorus is amazing; it's so simple as she lists colors but so pleasant at the same time, and the high of the song is definitely how she combines it all into "light it up". The lyrics are right on brand for Kiiara; she's not losing her identity and she's not going over the top.

The bridge is one of the best bridges all year. It builds to a giant climax, and it actually delivers in her own way. Sure, it could be loud, but I prefer the more chill vibe of the current bridge; it actually fits with the song.

All of the sudden, I'm super hyped about Kiiara's album. The lil Kiwi is coming to slay.

Unsurprisingly:

Final Verdict:

10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Joanne - Lady Gaga Album Review

Preface 1: welcome, popheads Preface 2: I'm so so sorry that it's been so long since I wrote a review! Hurricane Matthew knocked my internet out for 19 days, and I haven't had a chance to write. I really wanted to review this album on the day that it came out, but I'm back in full force. Here are a few of the next albums and EPs I plan to do: Mad Love, Nemesis, Emotion Side B (a bit late, I know, but I want to do it), and Lady Wood (maybe). Joanne is a rock/country/dance pop/gagacore(because really, some of these songs can't be grouped into an existing genre) album released by Lady Gaga, on October 21st, 2016. It's completely unlike any of her past albums, with some great production on every track from Mark Ronson and BloodPop. The lead single was "Perfect Illusion"; a track that received very mixed reviews, and left me kind of cautious about where Gaga could go with an album led by that. I certainly didn't expect what Joanne turned out to be

Rita Ora, Charli XCX, Bebe Rexha, Cardi B - Girls | Song Review and Discussion

Might as well put my take on the drama here as well. You've been warned. First, the song itself. The first part that I've got to mention is the production. Most of it is very generic, but then there are those weird chanting noises in the background. They ruin the flow of the song for me, detract from the actual lyrics, and just sound bad. For each artist's part: Rita Ora's chorus and verse seem very uninspired. The "I'm 50/50 and I'm never going to hide it" part is good and shows that this song had potential to be a bi anthem, but it's squandered. "I'm getting down with her, uh huh" is just boring. Charli's pre-chorus is decent if not weird. Her obsession with weed is annoying and doesn't really go with the rest of the song at all. Bebe sounds pretty good, but since when is she LGBT at all? I guess I missed the memo. Still, the best singing part of the song. Cardi's part (side note: why do they say "Rita