Skip to main content

Logic - Bobby Tarantino II | Mixtape Review

Bobby Tarantino II is Maryland rapper Logic's sixth mixtape, released on March 9th, 2018. It's a fairly standard hip-hop/trap mixtape; it's full of hype music, fairly standard lyrics, and doesn't try to get much more fancy than that. I FAR prefer this to Logic's previous album, Everybody, where it seemed like he tried to fit the same message about being biracial every 30 seconds. It just got tiring and seemed fake deep. That's not to say that this album is totally free of messages, but Logic is a lot more subtle about it this time and the relatively rare moments when he tries to fit a message in make every lyric about it more meaningful.

The intro, "Grandpa's Space Ship", is a Rick and Morty skit. This isn't his first time associating himself with the show. In the episode "Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender", Logic starred as himself at a concert at the end of the episode. It seemed really strange the first time I saw the episode, but it really makes sense with the off-kilter sense of humour of Rick and Morty. Logic utilizes this again in this intro. It's a bit long, and the praise that they give Logic seems rather narcissistic, but it's an effective and unique intro. Even better, it portrays some needed self-awareness about the separation between hip-hop banger mixtape Logic and "woke rap" album Logic.

The production on "Overnight" sounds suspiciously like "Cute" by DRAM, but the flow is different enough to be distinct. Just a bit of an observation I've got to make. It's rather basic; the lyrics aren't at all interesting, about how girls want him, his drugs, how hard his life has been, and so on. The usual rap set of lyrics. There's a rather strange part in the second half where he starts talking about how he doesn't "f*ck with nobody", but a few minutes ago he was just talking about how he respected everyone. This song's definitely nothing special.

"Contra" is generic in the best way. It utilizes that distorted bass that is so popular now. I'm of the opinion that's popular for a reason; it usually sounds really good with the right artist, and Logic is definitely a great choice. The contrast between the lighter singing voice he uses throughout the song and his angrier, deeper rapping voice makes for a great vibe. "Contra" is just a great song to turn up to. It doesn't try to be anything more, and that's respectable enough.

"Boomtrap Protocol" sounds quite fresh. The production uses vocal samples and jazz instruments along with the usual droning synths of hip-hop to bring a surprisingly unique sound. But.... there's a huge problem. The hook sounds almost exactly like the hook of 2 Chainz and Travis Scott's "4 AM", which is also a better song in every way. Now, I'm not saying at all that this is a total ripoff, but the similarities are too obvious not to notice.

"Yuck" is a good song marred in by oversampling. First, the lawyer skit at the start was funny the first time, but it gets old quickly. There's a phone call from Elton John at the end that just ruins the flow of the song. I get why Logic included it, but personal phone calls like that just don't work in trap songs like this.

"Indica Badu" is... a weed song. That's it. Every line is about weed, it has that hazy California style instrumental and hook that's in just about every song about weed, it has Wiz Khalifa on it, and it's 4:20. It's... it's not bad at all, but I always tend to skip it. Just not my type of music. I do have to admit that Logic screaming "I smoke weed!" at the end is rather hilarious and almost makes the entire song look like satire.

"Midnight" starts sounding like a Lil Uzi Vert song in every single way. The very synth-heavy production, the almost lazy flow, even the rather immature lyrics. Note how I said "starts sounding"; the song shifts in every single way midway through, enough that it might as well be two different songs. It goes from a standard hype hip hop track to a trap song. I can't really find any relevant connection between the first and second halves. The second half of the song is far better than the first.

"Warm it Up" brings the return of Logic's alter ego, Young Sinatra. It's quite the throwback song in both flow and instrumental. I feel like "Young Sinatra"'s flow is a lot better than "Logic"'s. This song really does have a far different vibe than the rest of the tracks on the mixtape; it's more hype, more violent, and you can really feel the difference between Logic and Young Sinatra.

"Wizard of Oz" is my favorite track on the album. It gives me a lot of deja vu; I had a very similar situation with "Ten Million" on Macklemore's Gemini. Both artists make a song that sounds exactly like a Travis Scott song would sound, and Travis's style is just so amazing that I can't help but love it. The instrumental uses some great keyboards and creative utilization of muffling. It builds up to a long, half-sung autotuned hook. Seem familiar? It even uses the same "yeah yeah!" that Travis uses. Regardless, it's a great song, although too short.

"State of Emergency" features 2 Chainz, who undoubtedly carries the song. But, at the same time, his voice is so different from Logic's that it makes the song sound so different to every other song on the album; it's just out of place now. In the same vein, "Wassup" features Big Sean. The production is generic and Big Sean carries the song again. His flow is just far better than Logic's on this track, even though he's on it far less."Everyday" is so weird. It's produced by Marshmello, and though he does have some bops (like "FRIENDS"), he adds little to this song. The synths sound extremely hollow and cheap, and other than that, the song just sounds like an early 2010's DJ Khaled type of hype song.

These past three songs really showcase the true problem with Logic. He's a good rapper, but nothing special. He's not unique, his lyrics are either campy or average, and though he does shine sometimes, the majority of his work sounds like filler to me.

"44 More" is his last redemption. Again, Logic borrows a bit too much from other artists. The instrumental starts sounding almost exactly the same as DRAM's "Gilligan", so much that I hear the 36 Mafia tag in my head every time I listen to the Logic track. Luckily, the beat continues to change throughout the whole song along with Logic's flow. Regardless, Logic really kills this track; undoubtedly his best flow on the album. Nothing new lyric-wise (other than the diss to Katy Perry and Harry Styles), but he's definitely trying some new styles on this track that sound really good.

This is probably one of my worse reviews; I found it quite hard to actually say what I'm trying to say about this album, and I apologize. I haven't reviewed an album in a long time because no new albums interested me enough. The albums I intended to review, by Charlie Puth and Kimbra, both got pushed back.

Overall, Logic delivers a slightly above-average album that lacks flair. He tries so hard and I totally respect him; I have no doubt that he's a great person, but he just isn't for me.

Final Verdict: 55/100

Favorite Tracks: Wizard of Oz, 44 More, Contra

Least Favorite Tracks: Overnight, Indica Badu, Everyday


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al