Skip to main content

Hibachi for Lunch - 2 Chainz Mixtape Review

Preface: I'm in between semesters for college, so I might try to do two reviews a week. We'll see.


Hibachi for Lunch is a free, surprise mixtape dropped by 2 Chainz on October 28th, 2016. It's seven songs long, and it marks his fourth release this year; the full length collaboration album with Lil Wayne, Collegrove, and three mixtapes. The name and art of this mixtape has listeners, myself included, hoping that maybe 2 Chainz will do more Oriental-themed music; however, his last Asian-themed album, Daniel Son; Necklace Don, barely had any of that style we were promised. This track has guest appearances from Quavo, Gucci Mane (ugh), Ty Dolla $ign, and Future, so I'm obviously not too happy with that feature list, but we'll see how they do. It also features some very prodigious producers, like Mike Will Made It, Buddha Bless, Mike Dean, K Swisha, and much more.

As you'd expect, the first song, "Countin", goes pretty hard. The instrumental is pretty typical with distorted bass and some ligher synths, but just isn't as charming as a lot of Chainz' old work. It lacks the amazing punchlines or simplistic melodies that have become his trademark. However, I do love how he says "Yeah" for the background vocals.

"Diamonds Talking Back" is probably the biggest banger on the mixtape. It really showcases his charisma, is pretty easy to jam along to, and the way that he says "boom bing" is absolutely perfect. It's about his human-like diamonds proving just how good and rich he is. The instrumental by Supah Mario is also really interesting, with some almost Yeezus reminiscent work at the end of the song. It's just so infectious, and some of the lines are so good, like "2 Chainzzzzz!/ A lot of z's because you [all] sleep." I can totally imagine this becoming a big hit.

"Good Drank", featuring Gucci Mane and Quavo, opens with a very interesting piano melody, but it's just not as good as those signature, instantly recognizable melodies in "I'm Different", "Watch Out", or "El Chapo Jr." Chainz flow is pretty great on this track, and Quavo does amazing on the hook, but Gucci Mane comes in and destroys the song as always. His verse is just his weak flow and talking about Kevin Durant. If they cut off Gucci I might like this track, but now I certainly don't.

"Lil Baby" is a real mess of a song. Featuring the horrible Ty Dolla $ign and his equally annoying voice, In this song, they attempt to "serenade" their girlfriends, or as 2 Chainz barks out like ten times in the song, his "SHAWTY". I honestly hate this one, from the boring production, to the stupid hook, to Chainz' weak lyrics. Sure, his flow is good on this track, but that is outweighed by everything else.

"Day Party" has the type of happy sounding instrumental that seems really popular these days, in between "Hotline Bling" and "Broccoli".  This song has a lot of potential to be a great party song, as the name suggests. The way that he says "You, you, you, you" on the hook is very danceable, however, this song is extremely short.

"Doors Open" ft Future is probably the biggest banger off of the album, with that signature Juicy J "Yeah H*e" in the production. It has some of 2 Chainz' best lines on the mixtape, such as "then I skate away like Winnipeg", "Remember when I used to play basketball/ now I'm out here playing ratchetball (ooh)", and my favorite, his "some" raps on the third verse. Future doesn't add too much to the song other than his enthusiasm, but that's all we need; doesn't matter if we can understand him or not (hint: we can't).

Finally, "Here We Go Again" adopts a more somber tone then the rest of the album, or most of Chainz' work in general. However, that's quickly destroyed by his ridiculous lyrics on the verses. The Mike Will Made It instrumental is really the best on the album, and actually fits the supposed theme of this album or Daniel Son; Necklace Don, at least in my opinion. The hook is downtempo, but the lyrics just don't suit this theme that could be great.

Overall, this mixtape completely fails at this theme that 2 Chainz is misleading us to expect with the last two mixtape names. I really wish that he would actually use the Asian themes like he did in "Big Amount" or "Here We Go Again", but for some reason he just insists on continuing to use this cliche generic "big rapper" theme. Hopefully he comes up with some shred of creativity soon.

Final Verdict:
48/100

Favorite Tracks: Diamonds Talking Back, Doors Open

Least Favorite Track: Lil Baby

Afterword: I would really love to get some comments! Requests, Critiques, or anything else would be great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh