Skip to main content

Stoney - Post Malone Album Review

Stoney is the debut album by rapper/singer(?) Post Malone, released on December 9th 2016. The album itself is mostly hip-hop with a few other major influences, produced by DJ Mustard, Metro Boomin, and a lot, lot more. The writing credits are also very, very numerous, and I'm really not sure if that's a good thing, considering the actual lyrical content of Stoney.

For the review, I'll be discussing the non-deluxe version of the album, even though I do particularly like the 2 Chainz feature on the deluxe. The normal, fourteen track album features Quavo, Justin Bieber, and Kehlani, so it's mostly just Post Malone doing the work himself. Post Malone isn't a particularly loved rapper, but his breakout hit "White Iverson" earlier this year is what opened the path for someone of his caliber to make an entire album. His style is pretty hard to describe, His voice is pretty weak, and his enunciation follows suit, but his flow isn't quite bad. He uses a lot more vocal effects than the majority of rappers, and also sings more than they do.

The first track, "Broken Whiskey Glass", quickly sets Post Malone apart from other rappers. The production is really nice and different, giving me some Midwestern vibes. Malone mostly "sings" on this song, even though it's more like slow, reverb heavy talking. The beat drops a bit about halfway through the song, finally bringing in that heavy bass, and near the end of the song, Malone finally drops an actual verse, His flow is quite good, but a lot of his lyrics are extremely weak, with lines like "feel like Meek Milly but I ain't from Philly". I mean, who wants to be Meek Mill?

"Big Lie" is a more typical hip-hop song. Produced by DJ Mustard among others, it features a rather airy, happy sounding production that seems to be getting more and more popular on the charts. The pre-chorus is good, but the hook of "say you flexing, that's a big lie" just sounds awkward. Furthermore, the vocal effects on this song are a bit overboard, as Malone's usual slurring is hardly understandable at all.

The next song opens with a VERY "Hotline Bling"-esque instrumental; this song is "Deja Vu", featuring Justin Bieber. Malone had previously toured with Bieber, so I guess this was part of his deal, though Justin probably should've saved his time. Bieber's parts are pretty nice, actually, but Malone drops one of the worst verses on the album. This song is completely carried by Bieber; I mean, he gets the hook and the verse, and Malone just sounds like a creepy old, oversexual  man.

"No Option" follows, and from the start it seems like one of the best songs so far. Malone has a lot less vocal effects and slurring on this track. His flow is really good and his voice is carefree on the verses. The hook is actually really great, and I think that this one could be a big hip hop hit. The bridge is pretty unexpected, as it's him singing and he actually sounds nice? I really hope that he pushes this as a single, because this is just the most enjoyable song so far.

"Cold" is pretty unremarkable, as he talks about his cliche "ice"; however, he might catch some people off guard by talking about how he'd die for the game that got him all this fortune. This song is a bit too long, but it segways nicely into the lead single and the thing that enabled Malone to make all of this:

"White Iverson." The big breakout hit, and the reason exactly why it was so popular is still unknown. It's a slow, almost psychedelic tune, with that iconic "saucin', saucin', I'm saucin' on you" and so on. Malone's flow isn't remarkable on this track, and the punchlines aren't great: "I'm with some white girls and they lovin' the coca/ Like they OT" is such a lame line, and the delivery is so awkward. One of the most notable things is how he talks address being white, when the "slurred rap" (is that a word?) genre is mostly ruled by black rappers, like Young Thug and Future. Heck, the name of this song is about him being white (Iverson is a black basketball player). Overall, for a song about basketball, "White Iverson" is great, with tons of references to the game itself; as a song in general, it doesn't hold up as well.

"I Fall Apart" is really strange. The influences are almost folk at some parts, and it's so vulnerable compared to everything else. Malone's voice actually seems powerful on this track instead of just the slurred, autotuned mess that it usually is. In fact, there's basically no rap on this track. I actually really love the bridge, with lines like "whipping in the foreign and the tears keep rollin." This is the first song where I've actually took Malone seriously, instead of just the guy acting like a cliched rap star.

Malone goes back to his normal grind with "Patient", and there's really nothing at all to say about this track. It's like the most typical song for him to release; if it was possible to take the average of all of his past songs, this song would be the solution.

"Go Flex" is another attempt at an actual vulnerable song, or at least that's what I think it is. The instrumental is mostly acoustic, and the verses sound kind of somber, but the hook (which sounds like something from Mumford and Sons, by the way), is far more positive. This song is just such a mess, and the hook and verses don't mix at all. I really don't know what he was thinking with this song.

"Feel" is home to the another feature, with Kehlani, and it's about time. Kehlani's silky voice is a refreshing break from Malone's slurring and autotune, but there's such a huge contrast from a run-of-the-mill R&B diva like Kehlani and whatever Malone is... He's strange, but he's different at least. What I'm trying to say is that they don't work together well at all. He's rough where she's smooth, he's messy where she's clean, and while this may work for some songs, it doesn't in this one.

"Too Young" enters with an amazing instrumental, but that's all it has going for it. Again, it's just cliche lyrics, really nothing new or interesting; except, for the pre-hook, which has him actually belting on it, and he doesn't even sound drunk at all on it, before going back to the slurred verses.

"Congratulations", featuring Quavo, doesn't have the instrumental of the same caliber of the last song, even though it's by Metro Boomin. The hook is really nice, and this is one of the most party-ready tracks on the album. Quavo goes really hard, and his voice is a nice compliment to Malone's. If we're being honest, he kind of carries the song, even though I'm not a fan of him. "Up There" has some really nice, jazzy production. It's a nice and chill song, and Malone's voice is very tolerable on it. I don't mind this track at all; I don't love it, but I don't dislike it.

Finally, "Yours Truly, Austin Post" is a really nice look back at what he's done, and kind of makes me respect Malone, even though this song isn't great. He refers back to his old songs and old life, over a smooth beat by Roofeeo. The hook is very singable, as he proudly proclaims "I just came down from the high of my life." Overall, it's a pretty good closer.

Overall, Stoney is an average album that nobody really wanted. It does have some good songs, but so much of it is just unattractive filler. However, it's likely that it could have quite a few hits, if it's marketed right. I did like it more than I expected, so there's that.

Final Verdict: 56/100

Favorite Tracks: I Fall Apart, Broken Whiskey Glass, No Option

Least Favorite Tracks: Go Flex, Feel, White Iverson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh