Skip to main content

Break the Frame - Whitney Peyton Album Review

First off, I'd like to make it clear that I accept and encourage review requests. A very decent amount of people view my blog every day, and I'm sure that some of you guys have some great requests for me. Just make sure that it's from 2016, please :)

Whitney Peyton is a female, underground rapper from Philadelphia. She's not too popular, but she has a lot of amazing potential that is showcased very well on Break the Frame, no matter how bad the album cover art is. In fact, her following is so small that I cannot find much information about Break the Frame; I have no idea who produced it. Regardless, Break the Frame is a underground rap album with EDM and rock elements that dropped on January 5th, 2016. It consists of 10 songs, with 7 out of 10 of those songs having credited features. Not many people would know her, but any rap fan can quickly tell how amazing her flow and delivery is right off the bat.

The intro, eponymously called "Break the Frame", quickly sets Peyton's personality as a fierce, independent, and shameless MC. She doesn't play the feminine card that many female rappers like to use; instead she sets herself above that line, with fierce and defining lyrics : "If you trying to put me in a box I'm bound to break the frame." She slightly reminds me of Snow Tha Product; a collab between the two would surely be amazing.

The second track, "Broken Road", shows Peyton's more emotional side, even though her rapping stays aggressive. The production is great on this song, with a mix of simple piano and hard dubstep, and Allie Santos's chorus contrasts with Peyton's verses perfectly. Peyton shows a slice of her life story, her struggle with spirituality and her family, and the heartbreaks that she's had. It's honestly a very good song, and Peyton's "go hard" rap style somehow still works even with a more vulnerable song like this one.

"Red Light" returns as a fast, sassy banger, obviously meant to be more fun then meaningful. The production does seem kind of lazy on this track, but it's certainly not a bad song; just average, with a bad chorus. The verses are nothing to complain about, however.

"Too Far Gone" actually seems very similar to an Eminem song. It's a power song with a message about how bad the world has gotten in terms of hate and insane standards. The male-sung chorus is actually really good, but the production needs a little bit of work, and the bridge is a pointless rally instead of anything meaningful.

"Sticks and Stones" revives Peyton's theme of self-importance and independence. It has two features on it: a rapper and a female chorus singer, and they both shine well. The rapper in particular, Jelly Roll, has an infectiously catchy flow. The jazzy piano riffs also compliment Peyton's sassy bars in this track.

"Wake The Neighbors" is one of the few solo tracks on Break the Frame. It's a banger with some of Peyton's best bars yet; her flow is amazing on this track. Her lyrics are also pretty clever, and the synths and in the background are great.

"Word of Mouth" is one of the singles on the album, and it totally deserves that. In her own words, she "switches up her style with an old-school flow", which is a nice change from her normal aggressive style. The chorus is so ridiculous catchy, and it gets into your head so easily. However, Kung Fu Vampire's verse seems kind of unnecessary, especially because it doesn't fit the more retro theme that the rest of the song adopts.

"Gasoline" switches back to a more somber style, even though the production and Peyton's rapping remains aggressive. It's about a hard breakup, with the Allie Santos-sung chorus going "I burned the bridge/ but you burned the gasoline/ and lit the match for me." This song actually seems kind of corny to me, the production is bad, and the chorus doesn't have as much emotion as it should. It's probably the worst song on the album.

"Flatline" is hard for me to rate. It actually adopts a punk rock style, so fundamentally different from the EDM ruled production on Break the Frame. I know that punk rock/rap can work, as Lil Wayne has proved, but I just don't think that the featured artist on this track does Peyton justice. His voice is too strange to me, but Peyton does have some good bars on this song.

"It's all Good" is a great closing track. The verses again sound very much like Eminem, but the chorus sounds like something from the 80's. Peyton is especially fierce in this track, and the song ends very strong with :"Before I leave the game/ best believe I'ma burn it down".

Overall, Peyton is an amazing rapper, with a ton of potential. I think she deserves more followers than she has; she's not just another "female rapper", she has a distinct personality and flow that surpasses gender roles. My biggest complaint is how many features were on this album. I think that Peyton should've had a bit more of the spotlight.

Final Verdict:
72/100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh