Skip to main content

Last Year Was Complicated Album - Nick Jonas Review


Last Year Was Complicated , or as I will probably call it, Last Year, is an album released by Nick Jonas on June 10, 2016. It is produced by a formidable lineup of producers from Island and Safehouse. This album is considerably more average pop/R&B style then the previous EP's I've done. Also, because it is much longer (12 songs) than the average EP,  I probably won't put as much effort into doing a track by track review, rather, pointing out outliers and reviewing the album as a whole.

This album is, in my opinion, a smooth evolution from his last album, Jonas X2. His style seems more mature, and not just his frequent swearing and more... intimate subject matter. The majority of the album is about Jonas's recent breakup, and his tone and lyrics perfectly match the feelings that he wears on his sleeve. This album contains a fair share of both fun songs ("Bacon", "Champagne Problems"), somber songs ("Chainsaw", "Unhinged"), and even one song that I daresay is a masterpiece. I do believe that it may have benefitted more if the songs more closely fit the supposed theme of his breakup, but regardless Last Year manages to sound fresh and just... enjoyable.

The album, strangely, groups all of its fun songs at the start. "Voodoo" and "Champagne Problems" are both production-heavy electropop songs. They're quite similar in their style, but they both manage to help build up the album; they make a good start to the album. "Voodoo", in particular, has top-quality vocals that really suit the song.

"Close" ft Tove Lo... everyone's heard of this song. First off, let me say that Tove Lo is one of my favorite singers of all time, and her performance on this song is immaculate. I always love how on her features, she never just sings one verse and leaves; she ends up singing the whole song along with the main artist. Nick Jonas's emotional, obviously heartfelt vocals and the production of this song, wrapped up with Tove Lo's supporting, emotional vocals, make a masterful package about the vulnerability that comes with a burgeoning relationship.

Then there's "Chainsaw". This is another emotional song, and it's really the first song that REALLY gets into the main theme of breakup in this song. This song is very vocal focused, and Jonas delivers in that department. The lyrics are above average; the song clearly demonstrates the destructive emotions that can follow a hard breakup like his.

The next song, "Touch", is one of the most mediocre songs on the album. The entire concept of the song is okay: trying to love somebody mentally as well as physically. But Jonas's falsetto throughout the song as well as the weak lyrics, as well as the discontinuity between this song and the rest of the album, leads the question: What's the point of this song? It's basically just filler content. The same is true for the seventh song, "Good Girls" ft Big Sean. The layered vocals almost make this song good, but the entire concept of this song about "good girls going bad", doesn't fit with the album at all, and Big Sean's feature really adds nothing to the album, though that just might be because I hate his style of rapping.

Then there's the sixth song, "Bacon". It's about the relief that comes after a breakup, and this song really makes up for the below average songs that surround it. It's extremely catchy, the lyrics are great, and Jonas's vocals are top-notch for him. The production on this song is simply amazing, and it really fits the swinging mood that is associated with the concept of the song. I really think that this song could make it big on the radio. Again, Ty Dolla $ign adds very little to the song; I feel like Jonas should've possibly left the rappers off the album and just sang a bridge himself.

"The Difference" feels like it should be the first song on the album; it's kind of about how Jonas is better than all of someone's lovers before him. This song is okay at best, with it's weak lyrics and overall boring theme. The build-up to the chorus makes it seem as if it's leading up to a "Bacon" level drop, but what you get is not at all in line with what is advertised.

"Don't Make Me Choose" and "Under You" are very similar songs about the moments right after a relationship ends. "Don't Make Me Choose" has such an average, boring R&B feel to it, with extremely weak lyrics. I think it's possibly the worst song on Last Year. "Under You" REALLY reminds me of Jason Derulo, particularly "Cheyenne"; the concept is really similar. This song is a vast improvement from the previous track, with a top-notch bridge and an infectious chorus. It's very single-ready, and even with the bland lyricism, it certainly could be far worse.

"Unhinged" is so starkly different than every other song on the album. It's a slow, heartfelt song about the loss that Jonas truly felt about the breakup, after the high from "Bacon" and "Chainsaw" comes down. This song has such a sad undertone, with great lyrics like "When you close that door, you see/ it's unhinged, just like me." The somber production and the emotional vocals make listeners wonder "Why weren't there more songs like this?".

The last song, "Comfortable", is tricky. At first it seems out of place, but if you look deeper you find that the lyrics are actually about Jonas moving on from the relationship, not into a relationship like you might think at the start. The strange quote where the guy says "practice" about a thousand times doesn't really fit, but I get where he was going with it. It's a lot faster and more upbeat than the previous song, and again Jonas lends his impressive vocal skills to make this song a happy ending to the album.

Though extremely unfocused and with its fair share of mediocre songs, Last Year Was Complicated manages to be a reflection of Jonas's new maturity. He certainly has potential still, and has a lot of single-worthy songs on this album. Sadly, I can't rate the album based on only "Close" and "Bacon," so here's the verdict.

Final Verdict : 58/100



Comments

  1. I LOVE GOOD GIRLS THOUGH

    But in all seriousness, great review. I agree with pretty much everything. Some suggestions I have are Lemonade (cause you know how I feel about that), ANTI, and 7/27. These reviews are super entertaining haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh