Skip to main content

Dangerous Woman - Ariana Grande Album Review















Dangerous Woman is a pop/R&B album from the massively famous singer Ariana Grande. The album was released on May 20, 2016. It falls into the category of "low-risk" albums, with multitudes of different producers and writers.

 I've been a fan of Ariana since My Everything, and this album does not disappoint at all for me. It's catchy, sassy, creative, and really showcases her amazing vocal talent. I'll be reviewing the normal edition, not the deluxe version, and I'll probably be uploading more album reviews than normal this month because I'm between college semesters. I'm also aiming to make album reviews a wee bit shorter. This album is far more mature than My Everything, and it handles this new maturity in a very satisfying way while still maintaining an air of fun in the majority of songs.

The album starts out great with "Moonlight", a happy little ballad. This song just seems... pretty, I guess? It's very sweet, with Ariana's signature high vocals showcased, and an overall innocent theme with some slightly less innocent lyrics. This light hearted, violin backed, song is an amazing intro to the album.

The next song, the eponymous "Dangerous Woman", is the first song to really showcase her new maturity. The swinging production, the fierce lyrics, and quality vocals mark this song as above-average; however, it just doesn't seem to fulfill all of the amazing potential that other tracks on the album exploit. The chorus just seems a bit boring, but I certainly wouldn't say anything bad about it.

"Be Alright", one of the first songs released off the album, is a deep-house inspired tune with a lot of R&B influences. It's another happy, carefree song, and it's extremely catchy. Ariana's range is even larger than usual in this song, and the upbeat chorus makes for a great song.

"Into You", a disco dancepop masterpiece, follows, and it is in my opinion the best song on the album. It's so dangerously dancy, the lyrics are top quality, and Ariana's powerful and confident voice fit into a neat and amazing package. It's the type of song that I could listen to all day if I wanted to; it just doesn't get old. It's so unique and fun to listen to.

 "Side To Side" is a departure from the semi-innocent theme that this album has garnered so far. It's very sexual and sassy, with tropical house inspired masterful Max Martin production. It's a song that you could just groove out to. Even though the lyrics are inherently sexual, they still seem playful at the same time. Though her voice isn't as in the spotlight as it usually is, her strong vocals still are very notable. Nicki Minaj's verse on this song definitely supports the sassy tone that this song displays : "I'm the queen of rap, young Ariana run pop." It's definitely a fresh and catchy track.

"Let Me Love You" is a breathy R&B track with obvious hip-hop inspiration. It's a lot more toned-down and darker than the other songs on this track, but it still maintains the youthful feel. Even Lil Wayne's verse on this song is laid-back with his usually clever wordplay and great flow. The conclusion of this song is very satisfying, with both Wayne and Grande singing over the stuttered chorus.

"Greedy" is the most funky and playful song on the whole album, in my opinion. With the sassy lyrics : "I ain't talking money/ I'm just physical obsessed/ And I'm greedy/ so greedy.", Ariana manages to make a confident, upbeat song with a little bit of the mature twist this album is characterized by. The jazzy vocals in the background are also a nice notable touch.

At this point in the album, it seems as if there's a formula of happy upbeat songs. But just in time, "Leave Me Lonely" swoops in. The somber piano ballad, the sad choir in the background, the husky mysterious voice of Macy Gray, and Ariana's amazing emotional vocals on this song make for a song that is somber in all of the best ways. Ariana's voice is showcased more than ever on this track, as she belts "If you're gonna love me/ and leave me hanging here/ then I'd rather you leave, leave me lonely". This track feels especially genuine, not as much as a certain pop hit as the previous songs on this track.

The first thing that one notices about the next song, "Everyday", is the amazing dancepop/trap production. The second notable thing is Ariana's swearing, which sounds foreign but good at the same time. This upbeat, feel-good track sounds great, and Future actually does a great job on it. I'm not a fan at all of Future, but guys, you can actually understand what he says in this song. This is another type of song that you could listen to everyday, pardon the pun.

Instead of ending with a bang, Dangerous Woman ends with two average songs, "Bad Decisions" and "Thinking Bout You". "Bad Decisions" just seems average, with boring lyrics, and unlike the other upbeat songs on the album, this track just doesn't have a particularly unique twist to it like the others do. "Thinking Bout You" is another more somber song, with a very weak chorus but good pre-chorus and verses. This song has potential, but it really didn't amount to anything special.

Dangerous Woman is, in my opinion, the best album that Ariana Grande has released thus far. Even the weakest songs on the album are average at the very least, and Ariana's voice sounds better than ever, with far less of the annoying whistle notes and more strong belts. The production on this album is almost immaculate, as Max Martin always promises. Even though the number of songs Ariana actually wrote on this song was fairly small, the lyrics are above average. Overall, Dangerous Woman is a very strong album, that is sure to leave most listeners satisfied.

Final Verdict : 76/100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh