Skip to main content

Collage - The Chainsmokers EP Review

Preface: Thank you SO MUCH for all of the support for the last review! It honestly inspires me so much.

Collage is the second extended play from the dynamic duo themselves, EDM producers The Chainsmokers. Everyone and their uncle has heard their mega-hit "Closer", so this EP had a very reasonable amount of hype. Since then, The Chainsmokers have established themselves as overgrown fratboys, with ridiculous interviews, shade at other artists, and general immaturity. However, they surprised us all with this. Collage is an absolute masterpiece, with some of the most original and innovative EDM tracks since Skrillex himself!

Just kidding.

It sucks.

Final Verdict:
17.34/100

Okay, fine, let's be real. The Chainsmokers has delivered some of the most radio-friendly, cliche, formulaic EDM/pop songs in a long time with this four-track EP.

The first track, "Setting Fires", is a good example of this. The first verse and the intro are rather good; XYLO (Seriously, what kind of name is that?) has a rather nice voice, and I appreciate the lyrics, even though they're fairly dull, but it all falls apart with the hypersweet synth "drop". Truly, this is how every single track is on this EP, perhaps with the exclusion of "Closer". A relatively unknown female vocalist, a good to average melody and verse, and a completely horrible, over-sweet synth centered drop. This isn't to say that I hate the Chainsmokers; in fact, I really like some of their old music. "Kanye" is actually really good in all aspects, "Until You Were Gone" is nice (mostly for Emily Warren) and has a really amazing drop, and "#SELFIE", while annoying, was kinda unique and trendsetting; everything this album hopefully is not.

(EDIT: I have since learned that XYLO is a brother/sister duo of a producer and a vocalist. I think that's pretty nice, and probably explains why the production on the verses are so good /s)

"All We Know" is arguably even worse than "Setting Fires". Phoebe Ryan does sound like she's about 12 years old, and I actually like some of her songs, like "Chronic", but she seems out of place on this track, especially because her voice is a bit distorted. Drew Taggart, the bigger douchebag of the Chainsmokers, does help sing the melody of this song, but adds very little.

"Closer", the flagship of both the charts and the EP, is the only semi-unique track. An ode to the fratboy, partying lifestyle, it's the story of a guy who meets up with his ex at a party, and the rest is history. Sung by Drew Taggart and Halsey, a major alternative popstar who I know will regret this eventually, it's no surprise that it's at the top of the charts. It has everything a radio-friendly EDM song should have; "relatable" lyrics, like "Stay and play that Blink-182 song/That we beat to death in Tucson, okay", a singable melody, and The Chainsmoker's signature lazy drop. I do appreciate how good the production goes along with the vocals in the pre-chorus, but that's probably the only reason that I can tolerate this song. Furthermore, Halsey's voice really carries this song; it's very obvious that Drew has little to no singing prowess, so of course she would upstage him.

"Inside Out" has very little staying power. I like the snares in this song, but the vocalist, Charlee, just sounds SO utterly bored and unenthusiastic. It's a shame, because this song has by far the best drop on the EP; the first part of the drop is cliche, but the second part is rather nice. The vocals ruin this song, and it's the exact opposite for the next song: "Don't Let Me Down". Daya, the featured vocalist on this song, has a fierce and powerful voice, especially in the bridge. I appreciate her honest efforts, but the drop to this song just sounds so utterly average and predictable that it ruins the track for me. The only time that I consider the production to be half-good on "Don't Let Me Down", is during the bridge, and the buildup to the next hook after that.

Overall, Collage brought literally nothing new to the table, except for a single that is inexplicably topping the charts for far too long, that we'll probably forget about in a year anyways. The Chainsmokers seem to have lost their creative spark somewhere along the line, and their fame is going to their head, as interview after interview of them embarrassing themselves show.  I honestly can say that I couldn't handle an entire LP of this type of formulaic music.

(Actual) Final Verdict:
28/100

Favorite Tracks: Setting Fires
Least Favorite Tracks: Closer, All We Know

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh