Skip to main content

Joanne - Lady Gaga Album Review

Preface 1: welcome, popheads
Preface 2: I'm so so sorry that it's been so long since I wrote a review! Hurricane Matthew knocked my internet out for 19 days, and I haven't had a chance to write. I really wanted to review this album on the day that it came out, but I'm back in full force. Here are a few of the next albums and EPs I plan to do: Mad Love, Nemesis, Emotion Side B (a bit late, I know, but I want to do it), and Lady Wood (maybe).

Joanne is a rock/country/dance pop/gagacore(because really, some of these songs can't be grouped into an existing genre) album released by Lady Gaga, on October 21st, 2016. It's completely unlike any of her past albums, with some great production on every track from Mark Ronson and BloodPop. The lead single was "Perfect Illusion"; a track that received very mixed reviews, and left me kind of cautious about where Gaga could go with an album led by that. I certainly didn't expect what Joanne turned out to be. Even though some tracks drag on, Joanne has a very decent amount of highs, and I appreciate what she's trying to do with this.

"Diamond Heart" headlines the album. The first verse is slow and almost boring, but the pre-chorus explodes into sound, as Gaga powerful shouts "Young, wild American/ C'mon baby do you have a girlfriend?". These lyrics suit the song perfectly; it's a song of empowerment and flirtatiousness, and at the same time it's distinctly American. Though the verses are lackluster on this track, it's a good start to the album and it really showcases the American feel that she's attempting to portray on Joanne.

"A-YO" is an adventurous cross between honky-tonk and dance music, complete with guitar arrangements and handclaps. It's infectiously catchy and singable, as Gaga chants "A-yo, a-yo, we smokin' them all". Gaga's voice in the verses is flirty and dangerously confident; this song can make the nerdiest city kid feel like a cowboy. This song is probably the most upbeat on the album, and is a great choice for a single in my opinion.

The eponymous track "Joanne" tones down the energy from the preceding two tracks in the form of a country ballad. The vulnerable songs tells the story of Gaga's late aunt; an artist that she never met. Even though I enjoy this song to a certain extent, it has that niche country feel that some Gaga fans might not appreciate, and there really aren't any highs in this song, mostly lows.

The titular spoken line of "Can I just, hang off the back of your horse, and can you go a little FASTER?" opens the next song, "John Wayne", a soft-rock song about her apparent lust for adventurous "cowboys". The pitched and cut vocals in the chorus frames Gaga's plea of "Baby let's get high/ John Wayne!". Ronson and BloodPop really go all out in the production on this track to make it sound like something that you might hear on a jukebox at a western bar; it's certainly not a bad sound.

"Dancin' In Circles" is the song most similar to any of Gaga's past work; the production, however, incorporates elements from both country and dancehall. It's this type of unique style that I expected from Beck, who helped make this song. In particular, the whisper-sung pre and post chorus reminds me of something off of 2010-era Gaga, and something about this song is particularly reminiscent of "LoveGame". The lyrics are lewd, as the song is about, uh, "self-love", but in a rather endearing way, as Gaga doesn't try to use metaphor or subliminal messages to try to get the point across; she just goes right out and says it without hiding anything. The boppy (not a word, I know) production and the chorus of "Baby don't cry/I'm singin' dancin' in circles, feels good to be lonely" actually make this song the most enjoyable song off of Joanne to listen to, at least for me. It certainly has the most "replay value".

"Perfect Illusion", the lead single of the album, is best described as a "hot mess". I don't usually have a problem with oversinging, but her constant screeching of "it wasn't laaaaahve" is a real turnoff. The format of the song is a bit strange, with two bridges. When the first bridge comes on, you're thinking that the song is too short, but when the second bridge comes on, the song is just dragging. At the end, the four (more like 3.5) choruses just smear the song into a shapeless mess, with none of the unique country influences from the rest of the album. This album wouldn't lose anything at all if this song simply dropped off.

"Million Reasons" is another country-pop power ballad, but this one doesn't have the flaws that "Joanne" had. It's less country than the former track, but it still has those key influences that ties it into the rest of the album. Gaga sadly drawls "I've got a hundred million reasons to walk away/but baby, I just need one good one to stay". Hillary Lindsey's songwriting is apparent and admirable on this song; "Million Reasons" is just one of those songs that makes you sit back and think about life after listening to it in the right mood.

"Sinner's Prayer" is a slightly religious song that sounds VERY much like a lot of Madonna tracks; it's that kind of gospel/pop mix. The rugged production is nice, and though this track may appeal to those that grew up with gospel and country, I just can't enjoy it. The following song, "Come to Mama" is kind of bizarre, but child's play compared to some of the songs that Gaga has created in the past. It promotes peace and love to each other, set over a jazz instrumental that just seems out of place. Though this song may be average at best, it's simply too preachy and boring to drive me to listen to it more than once.

"Hey Girl" is a smooth and jazzy pop song about growing into early womanhood. It's the highly anticipated feature with Florence Welch that we heard about, and though I think that it could be better, I'm satisfied for the most part. Welch's voice seems to outshine Gaga's on this one; her voice is just more silky-smooth, like the instrumental. However, I think that it's fair to say that overall, Gaga and Welch have great chemistry and their two voices work better for the subject matter of this track.

"Angel Down" is a fitting closer, a somber and chilling track about the modern world, her religious stance, and (according to her twitter) Trayvon Martin's untimely shooting. The orchestral instrumental is reminiscent of Lana Del Rey, but Gaga brings her own soulful vocals and style to the track. It's powerful and sad, and it ends the album on a very good note.

I feel like just reviewing tracks off of this album doesn't give it proper justice, Overall, Lady Gaga set out to make a tribute to her late aunt and a great country-pop album, and I think that this album is both of those things. The album is remarkably well put-together and flows well; I think that it could have used another more upbeat song instead of "Come to Mama", but that's the only complain I have about track listing. I'm not a big country fan but I did enjoy this album while it lasted, at least the first couple times that I listened to. This album ISN'T any of Gaga's earlier albums, but it's certainly not bad at all.

Best Tracks: Dancin' In Circles, A-YO, Million Reasons
Worst Tracks: Perfect Illusion, Come to Mama

Final Verdict:
69/100

Comments

  1. What do you think about Just Another Day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly not bad at all! I appreciate the big city vibes I get from this song, and the kazoo-trumpet combo is actually really nice addition to the song. I also like how she shows off her voice more than the other songs on Joanne. (is that a kazoo???)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Update

I'm really disappointed in the current state of the blog. I'm sure that I'll resume posting very soon, but it's just... not quite what I hope that it would be in its current state. The biggest issue is that I can't really connect to my few readers. I've only received one comment thus far, and I just wish that I could connect with you more! I'd be more than happy to do requests. I'm also expanding my reviews over to tumblr as well, at https://skymusicreviews.tumblr.com/ , which may help expand my audience. I hope so. Finally, I started university, so I have considerably less free time. I can still work with this, but it's just more to consider for this blog's upkeep.

Camila Cabello - Camila | Album Review

First review of 2018! Camila is the debut album by former Fifth Harmony member Camila Cabello. It was released on January 12th, 2018. It was extremely hyped up in the pop world, with Camila's lead single "Havana" topping many charts worldwide, beating any of the past placements of her former group members. Personally, I was extremely excited for this album. Camila was always my favorite part of Fifth Harmony, due to her very distinctive voice and the spotlight that usually shone on her. I was actually rather excited to see that she was leaving 5H, because I felt that a solo career would be the best choice for her. Her initial two songs, "Crying in the Club" and "I Have Questions", were both pretty okay. Nothing amazing, but I still had hope for her. Finally, the two follow-ups, "Havana" and "OMG", were both amazing. I'll talk about "Havana" later in the review, but "OMG" ended up being cut off of the al

Bebe Rexha - Expectations | Album Review

Expectations  is the long awaited, LONG delayed debut album by singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha. She has a long repertoire of hits: "I Can't Stop Drinking About You", "Take Me Home", "Hey Mama", "Me, Myself, and I", her most recent and biggest hit, #2 single "Meant To Be", not to mention all of the other hits that she's penned for other artists. She's dropped three EPs, including the two-part  All Your Fault  EP; apparently, there was supposed to be a third part that was replaced by this album. Her career as a star spans back to 2014, and it's a wonder that it's taken her so long to drop an album, but here it is, on June 22, 2018. Can it live up to our  Expectations? Expectations  tends to stick to Bebe's pop roots, but the span of styles used on this album is quite diverse. Like most new pop girl albums (Anne Marie and Camila Cabello, for example),  Expectations  consists of a few tracks that exist mostly to sh